Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Results

So, this is what I woke up to today ( at 5am... I really am turning into my father...).

Cody had two planned 20 minute LT Time Trials today:

Your Workouts for Wednesday:

Threshold-
RideType: Bike
Planned duration: 3:00
Planned distance: 50.0 miles
PEAK WORKOUT: Warm-up + 2x20 min climbs (honey springs?) + Cool-down. Ride the first climb as a TT for best time (don't concern yourself with power so much, ride by feel and note avg power after climb, guessing around 315w), ride the second climb at 15% less power than first climb (this is roughly what power you would climb a 2+ hour climb at).you'll take about 20% off the first climb to roughly find Evans power considering altitude.


So with goal in hand I headed out on the ride - once again the weekly wednesday Cyclovet ride, about one week before I head out to Colorado. It was a full group today with some strong riders - Jamba Juice, Cyclovets, Dewalt, Swami's, and Janel from Webcor. After winding our way out to Spring Valley (or is it Rancho San Diego?) the group hit the climb up Campo Road towards Jamul. The big guys put in some effort and gaped the rest of us - fine, I wanted to do some good work on the TT and it's the second part up skyline truck trail that would allow me to do a full 20 min effort.

The first portion of skyline is about 5% grade. I set a fairly steady pace - I couldn't complete ignore the computer, but tried to go by feel as much as I could - using the others off the front as rabbits. The data for this section shows an average wattage of 336. There is a short fast decent - keeping the watts up while flying downhill is not my strong suit. After this section the climb continues at 7% for several miles. This second ramp is always painful, but I just focused on remaining as steady as I could - 327 watts. After a third short downhill it was another effort of 338 watts.

After dissecting the data on WKO and PowerAgent my 20 min LT looks like at least 320 watts! a vast improvement over my last testing. If I take out the downhill sections (you could argue that they are opportunities for recovery...) and replace them with more of the uphill portions my 20 minute effort is somewhere just north of 330 watts! That's some good power! If I had done Honey Springs as Cody had suggested I might have a better idea, but I think having some other riders to chase helped a bit. I might use the 320 number for Evans figuring that if I have anything left at the end I can always push hard then... beside I won't have the PowerTap for that race anyway - I'll need the much lighter DA's for that...

So by plugging in the 320watts we get the following goals:

2+ HR TT: 272watts
Evans goal: 256 watts

Hmmm... wonder if I can tell the difference between a "perceived effort" of 256 watts or 265 watts...

On the way home we did the usual series of sprints and I tried to break away at the top of the Campo Road sprint and soloed up Bancroft, but was caught by Josh and Janel... I'll take that.

Another good omen is that I hit some new maximal power numbers.

Peak Power: 1288 watts
Peak Power 5 sec: 1227 watts
Peak Power 20 min: 320 watts

And my threshold power looks like it's now 307 watts, broke the 300 barrier - that's good - and on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment