Monday, April 6, 2009

The Begining

So, here we go... a blog. I never expected to write one, much less even thought about who would even be interested in reading it. Mostly, I'm hoping it will keep me focused on my training and serve as motivation to take my cycling more seriously.



This season I decided to kick things up a notch and hire a coach. For the past few years I've tried to set up my own training program - a kind of Frankenstein marriage between Joel Friel and Chris Carmichael - which I religiously adhered to for a week or two at best. The program usually consisted of copious amounts of base miles, fueled by scones and lattes from the local coffee shop. Needless to say, once race day came I was spit out the back



This year I contacted my old Coloradan friend and X-Terra Pro, Cody Waite. He put together a killer program tailored to strengthen my weaknesses and enhance my, well... strengths (a little awkward wording). I you have been thinking about hiring a coach and have been hemming and hawing; stop hemming and hawing and pony up the cash... It's beyond worth it. Now a little shameless plug about coaches - make sure get one who practices what they preach. That's one of the things I like about Cody, he's out there competing - personally putting his coaching philosophy to the test day in and day out. Alright, free advertising over.



This year I threw together a mix of road races (very few), time trials (even fewer), time trials (even fewer yet), and crits (tons, this is southern California after all...). By the way, I hate crits (I'm actually pretty good at them) and love hill climbs (I absolutely suck at them). Work has invaded life and so I haven't hit all my races, but have kept up on the training.



So wish me luck, and there it is; the first post.

No comments:

Post a Comment