Saturday, May 2, 2009

Beans and Burritos: Vol. One

Pappalecco





As far as food goes I have two passions; espresso and burritos!


In SoCal The Burrito Rules. Forget your Baltimore Crab Cakes, forget your Philly Cheesesteak, forget your Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, in SoCal it's all about the Burrito - well, and Fish Tacos. And coffee? Man-o-man, there are some really good places who know how to draw the perfect shot with amazing crema. And if you can find both in the same place - Jackpot. Luckily, San Diego has both in spades! Part of this blog is going to detail my quest for both.


After Saturday's race I was winding my way through downtown, licking my wounds. I needed a little breakfast - That will make it better! Nearing Little Italy, I remembered Cody mentioning something about a coffee shop he used to go to when living in San Diego. Couldn't find that one, but did come across one sitting a few blocks to the east of India Street. Pappalecco, a little bit of Pisa in downtown San Diego.


Trusting in my fellow man I left my bike leaning against a planter and headed in. I ordered my usual drink, a double espresso. It seems a little early in the morning for gelato so I take a look into the pastry case. Let's see... Panini Caprese; tomatoes, basil, mozzarella... looks good; I'll take one of those as well.


I sat at one of the outdoor tables, next to an old man - complete with his 9am cigar. Even if it's California I can't complain - somehow it fits, it makes Pappalecco even more authentic.


And, as it turns out, Pappalecco is about as Italian as San Diego gets. It's owned by two bothers from Pisa and tries to stay true in both food and culture. Italian Pop music flow out of the speakers (It's an acquired taste - one I haven't fully acquired) and the flat screen is showing images of Miliano and Roma. It seems like they have a lot of locals and regulars here. Familiar greetings, drinks being made before the orders have been placed. All good signs.


The espresso is perfect, not too bitter, not too weak, the crema.. good stuff. I'm feeling much better. The Panini is tasty as well, good favors. It goes well with the coffee. Not too much, just enough to fill the hunger. It was well worth the stop. Next time I'll have to try the Gelatto.












No comments:

Post a Comment