Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Finally, a Californian

I've been feeling pretty tired over the past few weeks. Legs are heavy, heart rate running a bit low, etc... Kind of a drag.

It's spring in San Diego which means wind and rain. So, I've found myself giving up riding in the rain and instead doing drills on the trainer. My Colorado friends wound be so proud...

When I lived in Colorado, there were two long periods where I completely avoided driving a car. This meant long cycling commutes for work from north Arvada to Park Meadows (52 miles) and later Arvada to Aurora (46 miles) in all weather - rain, snow, ice... I remember some winter commutes that would be so icy that the derailleurs and cables would freeze solid and you would have to limp home with one usable gear. It was a source of pride for me to commute in by bike while some of my co-workers would have to "take a snow day" since the roads were too dangerous to drive. Most weeks consisted of over 200 commute miles followed by 80 mile fun rides on my days off. Exhausting.

Last Wednesday, as it rained, I jumped on the trainer instead of heading out on the Wednesday ride. Yeah, I felt guilty - even after 3 hours of ILTs and standing intervals - it's just not the same.

A month or so ago we opened a new location in Encinitas, and I've started to commute off and on. It's about 44 miles round trip... but, what a 44 miles! The route I've been taking includes the Rose Canyon bike path, Torey Pines, and the coast ride on 101 up through Swami's. It is absolutely gorgeous. At night, I leave just as the sun is going down, and hit Solana Beach just as the sun sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment